What Is A Volunteer Correspondent?
A Volunteer Correspondent is a person who maintains contact with an individual with an intellectual and/or developmental disability living in a Maine community, if there is no unpaid person involved in that person’s life (or if involvement is very limited) to provide friendship and advocacy for that person. Volunteer Correspondents look out for the welfare of the person they’re matched with by the VCP, but have no financial responsibility for that person. Check out our full Volunteer Correspondent job description.
How Do I Become
A Volunteer Correspondent?
A Volunteer Correspondent must be over eighteen years of age, and cannot be providing paid service to his/her assigned person. All Volunteer Correspondents are considered for appointment by the VCP Approval Committee following their application and satisfactory background check.
Correspondents will receive notification of their appointment by email.
What Happens To My Application Once It’s Submitted?
Every application is different. Applications are always noted with the date they are received in the VCP office. We process multiple applications, and generally try to prioritize by the date received unless there is an urgent need such as homelessness or other significant lack of services. We always verify the need for an advocate, check personal and work references, and complete background checks. We may be in touch with you multiple times throughout the process to gather additional information, or to simply keep you informed of the status of your application.
You can always call the office at (207) 449-8888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org,
The following are some of the most common delays:
- Reference information is incomplete or inaccurate.
- Difficulty connecting with references or the ISC/CCM… due to vacations, holidays, or “phone tag.”
- Consumer’s private guardian hasn’t signed the release.
- No driver’s license number and/or other (maiden) names on application. These are needed for background checks!
- Application received without a specified match. The VCP Coordinator will review the waiting list for the best match.